≡ Menu

10 easy steps to making your own hair accessory!

Hair accessories how-to
I am so in love with vintage inspired hair accessories. I especially love feather fascinators and vintage combs. So I decided to go about making some of my own. It was really simple and fun. Anyone can do it. I broke it down into 10 simple steps just for you dear readers. You could even skip a few steps if you like (the written instructions are below the following images).
Hair accessory how-to

Hair accessory how-to 2

Materials: All you’ll need is felt, feathers, a ribbon, a button, and hot glue. If you want, you can use leather instead of felt for the base and fabric instead of feathers for the decorative part.

Here are the simple steps (now you can have a hair accessory to go with every outfit, or a special one for a wedding or party):

• 1. Cut a rounded teardrop shape out of leather or felt (whatever size you desire. The one pictured is about the size of my pointer finger)
  • 2. Pick your feathers. I like mixing colors a bit (the combo above is a light turquoise, white, and some light pink ones in the back, just to peek through a bit). I like to lay them out in a little fan array at this step.
  • 3-4. Hot glue a blob on the leather or felt base. Carefully lay the feathers over it a few at a time (you can wear gloves if you like or a sewing thimble (I like to risk it but hot glue burns are really painful so it’s your call). Press down once you’ve laid the top layer of feathers on. The hot glue seeps through enough to stick them all.
  • 5. (optional) lay one feather facing the other direction (this makes the feathers less of a fan shape and more of a cloche shape).
  • 6. Cut concentric circles out of ribbon, one smaller than the next and glue them into a little flower shape. Or skip all of this a use a button (see photos above for examples).
  • 7. Glue ribbon flower or button over the feather convergence point (where the stems meet). This step helps hold everything together and hides glue.
  • 8. Glue two little drops of glue across width of base leather or felt.
  • 9. Cut leather or felt strip and place over glue drops. Make certain the center is not glued down.
  • 10. Add bobby pin and then you can clip into your hair. I usually need two. I have curly hair. You can also hot glue a barrette, comb, head band, or hair band onto the back. It’s your aesthetic call.

And that’s it! Pretty easy right? You’ll probably want to make a bunch once you get started. Won’t these be great gifts for the holidays or for a wedding party or something?

Hope you enjoy!

XO,

Sam

{ 42 comments… add one }

• sarah October 15, 2008, 2:04 pm

LOVE. Thanks for the great tutorial and inspiration!

• samantha October 15, 2008, 2:06 pm

So glad you like! Let me know if you try to make one, send me a picture!!
    Thanks for the comment!

• Rachel October 15, 2008, 2:31 pm

This is fabulous, thanks so much for sharing! I’ll be linking to this.

• amy October 15, 2008, 2:38 pm

so fancy and fabulous!

• samantha October 15, 2008, 2:51 pm

Thank you so much Amy!!! They’re super easy to make. I just used the cheapest feathers. I should make one that uses nicer ones….and make it really fancy!!!!

Hope to see you Sat.!

• samantha October 15, 2008, 2:52 pm

Wonderful Rachel!! I will def check one pretty thing!!!!
    Thanks for commenting!!

• celia October 15, 2008, 3:44 pm

Thanks so much!!!!
    I know now more Christmas gifts I can make!
    It’s crisis time so the handmade gifts has became my favorite ones, lol…

• samantha October 15, 2008, 4:16 pm

oh great!!! So happy to have helped you out Celia!! Def take a snap shot of the ones you make and I’ll post them on maquette!

• Hannah October 15, 2008, 9:27 pm

ooh, I love your new border

• Samantha Hahn October 15, 2008, 9:35 pm

Thanks so much! It’s been there for a couple of weeks but I suppose that’s new…..just in the blog world that’s like 60000 years old.

• Hannah October 15, 2008, 10:23 pm

that’s weird, it never shows up on my laptop–I am using the big computer tonight.

• Samantha Hahn October 15, 2008, 10:33 pm

well tell HAL I said hi!

• yasmine October 17, 2008, 5:06 pm

i went out with my friends to the craft store yesterday because i told them about your hair accessories tutorial. one of my friends bought a ton of feathers, and she made a bunch for herself :) i’d like to make a blinged out one with a TON of sew on rhinestones. i wouldn’t know where to wear it though.

• Samantha Hahn October 18, 2008, 12:39 am

Oh my gosh, that is so awesome!!!!! Please please send photos of you and your friends in the hair accessories you make!! Make a wild one and an event will present itself to wear it! I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

• geek+nerd October 18, 2008, 12:27 pm

Cute tutorial – thanks for sharing!

• samantha hahn October 18, 2008, 12:41 pm

Thanks so much Sarah! I can’t wait to check out geek + nerd!!

• Lissa-Marie January 26, 2009, 11:57 am

Hi, I was wondering if you knew of a website that can show me how to make bridal head pieces out of feathers.

• Samantha Hahn January 26, 2009, 12:37 pm

I found this link: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/168538/how_to_make_your_own_wedding_headpiece.html

or follow my tutorial with white feathers or try etsy for lots of handmade looks.

Good luck!

• Rachel March 1, 2009, 7:47 pm

Thanks for this post! I saw a $45 similar hair accessory at urban outfitters that threw me into a rage, and i determined…I shall make this…

• Samantha Hahn March 1, 2009, 9:15 pm

Go for it! I know you can do it! Send a pic when you do!

• Leah April 23, 2009, 12:54 am

Hey Samantha, thanks for the awesome tutorial! Any ideas on where to get feathers? I looked in some local craft stores and couldn’t find a thing! Where did you get yours? Any online dealers? Thanks so much and sorry if you answered these questions already:P!

Best!

leah

• Samantha Hahn April 23, 2009, 5:27 am

Hey Leah. I would think a craft store would have them….that’s where I would tell you to go. This place has a lot: http://www.ostrich.com/shop/cat?cmd=feather-index&?source=google-US+Feathers&matchtype=search&gclid=CO6N6OzkhpoCFQENDQodjCinEQ

This place is really cheap and looks good: http://www.createforless.com/search/search.aspx?txtSearch=feathers&gclid=CPel4IXlhpoCFR7yDAodFGShGQ

Hope you make something great!

• hair accessories May 26, 2009, 12:28 am

I think it would be a wonderful and simple project to do. I really enjoy it! Thanks for sharing this with us, all the step by step photos really helped!

• Samantha Hahn May 26, 2009, 4:48 am

yes, it really is quite simple and fun to do.

• Adele June 27, 2009, 12:03 pm

What a great simple idea..thank you.
    Can you use fabric glue instead og a hot glue?

• Samantha Hahn June 27, 2009, 12:49 pm

sure Adele,
    You could use fabric glue, it would take more patience though. I also think it might be a little hard as the feathers might start to curl up in the glue before it dries. I would try it though! I bet you could also do this with a needle and thread. Threading each feather onto the felt base. Maybe some gold thin twine or something? Let me know how it goes if you try it with fabric glue. Enjoy!

• Michelle Acosta August 5, 2009, 11:48 am

Awesome. I make hair luxury hair accessories for Henri Bendel’s NYC. This is great for creative girls on a budget! One of my pieces will set you back 100.00 bucks so it’s great to see it available to every savy consumer. I target the 5th Avenue set but it’s great to see something accessible to everyone. I would recommend using high end fabrics and feathers to give the hair accessories a polished professional feel.

• Samantha Hahn August 5, 2009, 6:14 pm

Michelle,

There’s no substitute for craftmanship like yours, these are certainly fun though for an everyday accessory and they’re easy to make. I’m sure yours are lux!

• rachel October 6, 2009, 10:22 am

Hey, I was just attempting to make a chiffon flower hair accessory myself and i was searching around for what material would be a great base to use and came across your article! A long time ago when i tried to make a fascinator i resorted to using a small piece of cardboard (wrapped in fabric) cos I couldn’t find anything hard enough! But i think the glue will stiffen the felt a little right?

• Samantha Hahn October 7, 2009, 6:25 am

a little but you don’t need too much glue…so it shouldn’t be a problem.

• Lynne October 21, 2009, 2:14 pm

Hya, my sister is getting married on Friday and I have been looking around the stores for something like this for myself and my daughter but they are so pricy, needed some car ribbon also, so called in at a Hobbycraft store, saw the feathers, bought them and wasn’t sure what to do next, hence I looked on here and bingo, brilliant. I bought combs too though not sure whether to use them, but thanx I have a new inspiration.

• Samantha Hahn October 21, 2009, 3:27 pm

great Lynne,

So happy to hear that! I bet you and your daughter looked fabulous!!

• Rheum8 January 7, 2010, 3:22 pm

You’ve helped me get started on a new crafting direction! Thank you.

• baby March 22, 2010, 4:15 am

Thanks for these tips, definitely will try them.

• Kitty March 23, 2010, 4:39 pm

Thanks so much…really want to make one now!! Off to get supplies tomorrow…

• QQ June 12, 2010, 11:09 pm

thanks for sharing it…
    GBU.

• Erika June 18, 2010, 3:38 pm

I was wondering if you could tell me some online places where I could order (for kinda cheap) things to start making my own hair accessories? That would be amazing! I love your stuff :)

• Cute iphone Covers May 3, 2011, 1:11 pm

I would have never though these where so easy to make. Thanks for the post.

• naseera June 29, 2011, 12:01 pm

Its wonderful…ooh i like it

• naseera June 29, 2011, 12:06 pm

I love it as i am too fashionable ………
    it makes me cool

• Tracey Petueli April 3, 2012, 8:55 pm

thank u so much for this 10 easy steps, now i can start making hair accessories for my daughter, it’s very expensive here in fiji…

• harryden October 19, 2012, 5:09 am

Hmmm… Such a great tutorial it is.. it will prove very useful for every one. I would like to learn from you and gift one hand made hair accessory to my girl friend,,,,

Buy Cheap Area Rugs